At Weeting Primary we encourage children to develop as individuals. One of the ways we try to encourage this is through our “Play Leader Scheme”. Our School Council representatives created the following aims for the scheme:
- To improve behaviour on the playground
- To provide safe areas for children to play different games and equipment
- To develop friendships between pupils
- To encourage problem solving
- To teach pupils appropriate skills and games
- To be a good role model to their peers
Play Leaders are a group of caring Year 5 children who have been trained to organise activities for other children on the playground. They encourage children to join in games and to extend their friendships. The leadership skills that they have been taught will also help to raise self esteem, self confidence and encourage physical activity.
Our Play Leaders volunteer their time to support the younger pupils to establish a happy lunch time for all children. They have received training on how to deliver different games at lunch time. The children have lots of play equipment to enjoy, ranging from hula-hoops, balance blocks, netball, football, den making and chalkboards. Playground Leaders are allocated a weekly slot and prepare and run their own activity using equipment provided by the Friends of Weeting.
Our Play Leaders were interviewed and appointed by our School Council representatives who created the following person specification for the role.
A Play Leader should aim to have the following qualities:
- Be a great role model
- Be kind
- Be able to help other children
- Abide by rules
- Respect equipment
- Be honest, reliable and trustworthy
- Be a good team member