Primary School’s Sports Funding
Click here for the Department of Education link to the Primary School’s Sports Funding page.
What is the Sports Premium?
The government is providing funding of £150 million per annum for the academic years 2013/14 and 2014/15 to provide new and substantial primary school sport funding. The funding is being jointly provided by the Departments for Education, Health and Culture, Media and Sport, and will see money going directly to primary school head teachers to spend on improving the quality of sport and PE for all their children.
Purpose of the funding
Schools will have to spend the sport funding on improving their provision of PE and sport, but they will have the freedom to choose how they do this.
Possible uses of the funding include:
- Hiring specialist PE teachers or qualified sports coaches to work alongside primary teachers when teaching PE
- New or additional Change4Life sport clubs
- Paying for professional development opportunities in PE/sport
- Providing cover to release primary teachers for professional development in PE/sport
- Running sport competitions, or increasing participation in the school games
- Buying quality assured professional development modules or material for PE/sport
- Providing places for pupils on after school sport clubs and residential visits
Please click on the tab to see how we have planned to spend our money so far.